Friday, April 10, 2015

Deviled Eggs: Classic, Chipotle, Avocado

Easter marked the end of my Vegan diet and I can say that it was hard, but I did actually enjoy it. I have more recipes and things to share from the experience but for now eggs! 

Eggs honestly might have been the most difficult part of being vegan for me. Thankfully, Easter is already big on eggs so I had an extra excuse to make lots of eggs. I love deviled eggs but I haven't ever made them before so I decided to try a few different types.

Classic, chipotle, and avocado. Each recipe follows the same general instructions, with their respective ingredients.

To start, boil your eggs. My grandma taught me from a young age the fool proof way to boil eggs:
Fill a pot with cold water and add your eggs. Put it on the stove on high heat. Once the water is at a rolling boil, cover the pot and turn the burner off. Leave the pot on the hot burner covered for 10 minutes. And then, ta da! Works every time.

Once your eggs are boiled you want to cut them in half long ways and scrape out the yolks into a bowl. When peeling off the shells be careful because you want the egg whites to stay in tact. I used 4 eggs per type of deviled egg recipe I was trying.

Mix yolks with ingredients thoroughly.  (Ingredients for each type listed below with the full recipe.) Spoon the mixture back into the middle of the egg whites. I recommend putting them in the refrigerator to chill and harden before serving.

I really liked the classic and chipotle recipes, the avocado was a little bit strange. It was very avocado-y, which normally I really like but I think if I did this again I would use mayo and avocado, instead of avocado just in place of it. Either way, they were a great appetizer for Easter and they at least looked wonderful!

Fool Proof Way to Boil Eggs:
Fill pot with cold water and add eggs
Put on stove, turn heat to high
Once water comes to a rolling boil, cover the pot
Turn off the stove and leave the pot on the hot burner for 10 minutes
Drain water and add eggs to cold water to cool

Classic Deviled Eggs
Ingredients:
4 eggs, boiled
2.5 tbsp mayonaise
1 tsp yellow mustard
1.5 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp white wine vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp finely chopped onions
Parsley and paprika for topping

Once your eggs are boiled and peeled slice them in half long ways and scrape out the yolk into the bowl. Mix the yolks with the remaining ingredients. Spoon filling back into egg whites. Top with paprika and parsley. Chill before serving.


Chipotle Deviled Eggs
Ingredients:
4 eggs, boiled
3 tbsp mayonaise
1 chipotle pepper, chopped finely (I bought a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and added a bit of the sauce from the can)
1 tsp Sriracha (more, if desired)
Garlic salt to taste
1 tbsp finely chopped onions

Once your eggs are boiled and peeled slice them in half long ways and scrape out the yolk into the bowl. Mix the yolks with the remaining ingredients. Spoon filling back into egg whites. Chill before serving.


Avocado Deviled Eggs
Ingredients:
4 eggs, boiled
1 small ripe avocado
2 tsp mustard
Juice from half a lemon
1 tsp white wine vinegar
Salt/Garlic salt to taste

Once your eggs are boiled and peeled slice them in half long ways and scrape out the yolk into the bowl. Mix the yolks with the remaining ingredients. Spoon filling back into egg whites. Top with parsley. Chill before serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment