Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Jell-O Shots, different colors and ways

I am going to be honest here, I am not particularly fond of Jell-O. I have a problem with mushy textured food, and Jell-O falls into that category for me. That being said, Jell-O shots are definitely a fun, festive, and tasty way to have a few "drinks" with friends. I made these a couple of weeks ago for the Super Bowl, so naturally they were Seahawk colored. (I have to add a note here that I am still a Niners fan first and foremost, but when they aren't playing I'll cheer for my city!) I also made each box a little differently.

The most common recipe I have seen for Jell-O shots is to follow the box but replace the cold water, or a portion if it depending on how strong you want it to be, with vodka. I have made Jell-O shots a few different times and I like throwing champagne into the mix. I love champagne and I think it makes it a bit more fun to add some bubbles. Depending on how strong you want yours to be you can use only vodka, only champagne, or mix both. You'll want to make sure that whatever alcohol you are using is chilled beforehand.

Follow the instructions on the box as normal. For the bigger box (in my case, the blue one) it calls for 2 cups of boiling water and the smaller box (green) 1 cup of boiling water. Put the powder into a bowl, bring the water to a boil and mix in. 


Normally the instructions do not require you to let the mixture cool but to avoid burning off the alcohol I would let each bowl cool for at least a few minutes before adding. In my case I replaced the full amount of cold water with alcohol, but you can always split this if you want them to be less strong. You just want to make sure that in the end you add the exact same amount of cold liquid that the box instructions call for.

For my larger (blue) mixture it called for 2 cups of cold water and I used 1 1/2 cups of champagne and 1/2 cup of vodka. The smaller (green) mixture called for 1 cup of cold water and I used 1 cup of vodka.



At this point you can mix everything together thoroughly and split the mixture evenly among containers. I got my containers at BevMo but most liquor or large grocery stores should carry them. If you are only doing one color all you need to do now is put these in the refrigerator to set. In my case I let the blue set for about 30 minutes and then added green on top. At this point it is not completely set to eat but enough so that the colors stay separate.



You will want to let it set for a bit longer than the box, since it isn't just water in those cups. And once they're all done, enjoy! Xo

0 comments:

Post a Comment