Thursday, February 26, 2015

Sweet Potato Raviolis (Vegan, or not)

Adapted from here.
As I mentioned in my last daily photo post, every year I give something up for lent and this year I decided to give up animal products and go vegan. I wanted to do something that was challenging on a few different levels. Not only is it hard for me to to eat things that I normally have often, like pizza or turkey sandwiches, but I also have to tweak my grocery shopping and normal cooking habits. It has been challenging so far, but not unbearable. With that, here's my first vegan recipe to share with you all! Sweet potato raviolis.
These are much easier to make than you would probably imagine making raviolis would be. I have also made them before pre-vegan which included parmesan cheese and regular butter so if you aren't looking for a vegan recipe, this one is still pretty great.

Ravioli ingredients:
2 medium sized sweet potatoes (or one really big one, if you want)
"Butter"- I have bought Smart Balances 'Buttery Spread with Flax-seed" as my vegan substitute
1/2 c Bread crumbs (check the ingredients, some have milk)
2 1/2 c flour + extra for rolling
1 c water

Sauce ingredients: 
Minced garlic
Lemon
Pecan pieces
Spices of your choice - I used sage, thyme, and rosemary

Garlic bread on the side, if you're into that sort of thing :)

The very first thing you want to do is start boiling your sweet potatoes. Depending on their size you may want to cut them into pieces. We made the mistake of not doing that and it took a very long time.
For the dough - Put flour into a bowl and create a divot in the middle. Add 1 c of hot water, and mix thoroughly with spoon or hands.

For the filling - Once your potatoes have been boiled to softness mash them up adding about 2 tbsp of butter and your 1/2 c of breadcrumbs. If you aren't making this vegan style you can add parmesan cheese to this mix.
Flour your surface and roll out your dough and place spoonfuls of your filling on the dough 1/2-1 inch apart. You can vary the amount of filling you place depending on how large you would like your raviolis to be.
Fold over the dough and press around the filling to seal the pockets. Cut out using a glass, or knife.

You should have a plate that looks something along the lines of this!


Once the ravilois are put together they only need to boil for about 4 minutes until they are ready to eat. For the "sauce" that we used, I put about a tablespoon of garlic in with about 4 tablespoons of butter. Cook on medium until the butter and garlic start to brown. Add spices of your choice, I used sage, rosemary, and thyme. Add pecan pieces and fry up until everything is golden brown and mixed well together.

Toss your raviolis in with the sauce, and you're done! Plate up, and add cheese if desired.


Happy cooking! Xo

0 comments:

Post a Comment