Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Taco Tuesday Side Edition: Rice! (Vegan, or not)

It's been far too long since I have done a Taco Tuesday post, and for that I am deeply sorry! This Taco Tuesday, as the title states, is the side edition and includes two different types of rice. A few weeks ago I did a taco night with my church group, which is where this stemmed from. Taco night is a great way to have a communal meal if you're looking for an activity to plan a night around! Just about all of the items that come together for a taco night can be made stand alone. Some in charge of meat, someone shells/tortillas, someone else for veggies, someone else for salsa and guacamole, and someone in charge of margaritas (of course). 

For our taco night I was in charge of rice and I decided to do two different types, Classic Spanish Rice and Cilantro Lime Rice. I made these in the simplest way possible, and vegan! The recipes do call for butter, but I used vegan smart balance to cut out all animal products.

I decided to make two types of rice that included similar ingredients so that I wouldn't have to spend a lot of time making each one. The most important thing in both of these recipes, and really all Mexican food in my opinion, is cilantro. Both recipes also used roasted garlic and lime.
 
Rather than roasting cloves of garlic and trying to spread them evenly in the rice while they are soft I roasted pre-minced garlic by folding it into some foil and baking.

 
I made this really simple for myself by cooking 3 cups of rice ahead of time in a rice cooker and separating them into two bowls. By doing this, all I needed to do was mix the ingredients together. Cooking the rice in a pot using broth and mixing the ingredients in can make it more flavorful, but also takes more time.

Classic Spanish Rice 
Ingredients:
1.5 cups of cooked rice
1 can fire roasted dice tomatoes
1-2 tbsp chopped cilantro
Juice from 1/4 lime 
1 tbsp roasted garlic
1 tbsp chipotle seasoning
Salt to taste
*For the seasoning, I have a premixed seasoning that my Uncle puts together himself and passed along to me. You can buy premixed chipotle seasonings, use taco seasoning, or make your own using cayenen pepper, paprika, garlic salt, and anything else you may like depending on your preference.

Thoroughly mix all ingredients together. Heat in oven if necessary, serve warm.

Cilantro Lime Rice
Ingredients:
1.5 cups of cooked rice
3 tbsp "butter"
1-2 tbsp chopped cilantro
Juice from 1/2-1 lime
1 tbsp roasted garlic
Salt to taste

Thoroughly mix all ingredients together. Heat in oven if necessary, serve warm.

Happy Taco Tuesday! Xo

0 comments:

Post a Comment