Friday, September 5, 2014

Friday Favorites: Books

I see a lot of people do “Friday Favorite” posts so I’m jumping on that train, but I decided to do it with a different theme each post. One of my goals for the new year was to read at least twelve books. I love reading but always get distracted with other things. Ideally I would read more than this but I figured I’d set myself up for at least one a month to get on track. Right now I’m on my eight, so I’m doing okay! Anywho, on the topic of books I’m kicking off my first Friday Favorites with my top 5 favorite books.


1.       The Perks Of Being A Wallflower – Stephen Chbosky
We accept the love we think we deserve. 
Anyone that knows me well probably knows this is my favorite book, I first read it in high school and I’ve reread it almost every year since. It’s about a boy in high school who struggles socially and emotionally and is just trying to find his way. It’s a little high school-esque but to me it has a great message about life. Basically, things are really hard and messed up sometimes but you can work through it and learn from it.


2.       A Long Way Down – Nick Hornby
The truth will set you free. Either that or it'll get you a punch in the nose. 
I suppose I may have a thing for books about emotionally distraught people. This book is about four people that meet at the top of a building on New Year’s Eve all with the intention to commit suicide that night. They end up making a pact to wait and become the strangest group of friends you can imagine. The amount of self-realization the characters go through along with the sarcastic humor is right up my alley. Nick Hornby is also my favorite author so I would recommend just about anything by him, especially A Long Way Down, High Fidelity, and About A Boy.


3.       Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire – J.K. Rowling
Nothing like a nighttime stroll to give you ideas. 
If you are one of those rare (and in my mind, insane) people that has never ready the Harry Potter series I just have to ask – what are you doing with yourself? Go, read it. Now. The fourth book is my personal favorite because I think the Tri-Wizard tournament is so cool and Rowling does an amazing job of illustrating it with her writing.


4.       The Outsiders – S.E. Hinton
Things are rough all over. 
I first read this book in my 8th grade English class and if I’m being completely honest it’s one of the very few books on a school reading list that I actually finished and loved (sorry!). It’s no surprise to me that it’s considered a classic, there’s adventure, excitement, laughing, crying and if we’re bringing the movie into the picture as well – there’s Rob Lowe.


5.       The Giver – Lois Lowry
Memories are forever
This is another book that I, along with most people, read in school at a young age. The concept of this book has always been so interesting to me. I love the way that it puts into perspective how important knowledge and understanding is, whether it’s pleasurable or painful.
Posted in

0 comments:

Post a Comment